Virginia VOICE June 2015
Released: Wednesday, July 08, 2015
This was a very special month for Carol and me, as we enjoyed our fortieth wedding anniversary. We took some vacation time together with family and spent a “second honeymoon” in Niagara Falls! We also scheduled time for lobbying in Washington, DC. Let me give you a picture of how those efforts went.
Washington, DC Lobbying
Over the years, God has given us some wonderful victories in Richmond at the General Assembly. Sadly, some of these victories were nullified by federal overreach, but we saw real progress. We saw more stringent requirements for abortion clinics, a marriage amendment defining marriage as between one man and one woman, the creation of religious exempt day cares, broader exemptions for churches regarding sales and use taxes, and protections for Virginia National Guard chaplains. Which brings me to the days I spent speaking to our US congressmen on June 16 and 17.
We arranged appointments with nine of the eleven congressmen from Virginia, and all eleven representatives and both senators received a letter from us expressing our concerns. While we don’t endorse a particular political party, note the following positions of our Virginia congressmen:
- All Republicans oppose special protections for sexual orientation, such as transgenderism or homosexuality. (Democrats support special protections for sexual orientation and transgenderism.)
- All Republicans voted for HR 36, the Pain Capable Child Protection Act, which prohibits abortions after twenty weeks. Democrats opposed this bill.
- All Republicans support HR 1299, the Child Welfare Provider Inclusion Act of 2015, which protects Christian adoption agencies from facilitating adoptions for homosexuals. Democrats gave no position on this bill.
- All Republicans support the Parental Rights Amendment to the US Constitution, which clarifies the rights of parents regarding their children.
- All Republicans continue to work for protecting religious liberties for military personnel. Democrats say military personnel are already sufficiently protected.
- All Republicans continue to stand for defining marriage as between one man and one woman. Democrats support same-sex marriage.
- All will work to protect our religious exempt day cares from federal government intrusion by overreaching mandates.
It was a blessing that my wife was able to be with me in every visit. We were received kindly by all, even those with “philosophical differences.” Most meetings lasted fifteen minutes and were with legislative staff, but we were fortunate to meet for thirty minutes each with Rep. Randy Forbes (4th district) and Rep. Dave Brat (7th district). We ended each meeting with prayer.
In every meeting, we were asked to let you know that the legislators wants to hear from you. And when you do contact them, please remember three things: be kind, be brief, and be appreciative for their service.
Pray for your congressmen. Most face the challenges that come with being separated from family for weeks at a time; each is weighing the impact of legislation on you and the nation; and hundreds of special interest groups pass through their offices each week. Pray for them to be strong and stand for godly values.
ONE Voice for Liberties Conference Poster
You can help get the word out about our upcoming conference with the enclosed poster. Thank you to the many who have already registered!
- Dates: September 17-18, 2015
- Location: Landmark Baptist Church, 4000 Creighton Rd., Richmond, 23223
- Register: online at vaib.org/education/virginia-voice/one-voice-for-liberties-conference
- Cost: offerings will be collected to underwrite the cost
2014-2015 Virginia General Assembly Report Card
The Virginia General Assembly Report Card gives an overview of how our state legislators voted on moral values and protecting families and religious liberties. This document, prepared by The Family Foundation, is a good resource for elections in November. If you desire more copies, please contact The Family Foundation.
Your continued prayer for Carol and me and the work of VAIB is deeply appreciated. I cannot say thank you enough, knowing how God has used you as a help to this ministry. May God bless you for your faithfulness!
Your voice for Christian liberties!
Virginia March for Life: stop pro-abortion extremism!
Join the Rally and Virginia March for Life: Wednesday, April 3, 2019, in Richmond In January, New York extremists stripped away every legal protection...
Vote NO to Casinos in Virginia!
Bills to allow casinos in Virginia are being considered by Senators beginning on Friday, January 18. Contact your Senator today to let them know you...