Virginia VOICE June 2016
Released: Sunday, July 03, 2016
Register today for the ONE Voice for Liberties Conference-- September 15-16 Landmark Baptist Church in Richmond!
It’s not often that our entire family gets together for a vacation. Thanks to year-long planning by our son-in-law, we spent a great week enjoying each other’s company and doting on the grandchildren.
Back to Business
With politicians seeking to be elected this fall, I decided not to visit our Congressmen in Washington DC this summer. There are new candidates as well as some incumbents seeking to be your Representative in Washington. In fact, there two state Senators and one House of Delegates member on the ballots. And with the redrawing of districts from Tidewater to Richmond, know who your candidates are and where they stand on important issues, like abortion and moral values. Contact our office if you have questions about the candidates’ positions.
You can contact your local registrar to find out who is running or contact our office.
New Laws Go Into Effect July 1
Here are some new laws which may interest you:
- Unlicensed Day Cares (includes religious exempt day cares)- Day cares must not employ workers convicted of violent felonies; there are increased penalties for day care workers convicted of criminal neglect in the death or serious injury of a child in your care (now a Class 4 felony: 2 to 10 years in prison and up to $100,000 fine). Day cares may be liable for civil litigation.
- Marriage- Both parties seeking to marry must now be 18 years old or deemed emancipated if 16 years old or older. Parents and guardians are no longer allowed to give permission for marriage under eighteen years old.
- Smoking is not allowed in a car with children eight years old or younger.
- Hospitals will be required to provide a financial estimate for the cost of a procedure within 72 hours of a patient’s requesting it or prior to having the procedure done.
- Fantasy Sports Gambling- Virginia becomes the first state to legalize this type of online gambling. This may provide easier access for underage gambling. We are also concerned for those who may become addicted or entangled in any type of gambling.
- Domestic abusers & firearms- Anyone subject to a protective order due to domestic abuse must surrender their firearms to a third party within 24 hours of receiving the protective order.
- Dating Violence to be Taught in Public Schools- High school family life curricula will include teaching on dating violence and other forms of sexual assault.
- National Background Checks- While no law was passed this year to require national (fingerprint) background checks, it was made abundantly clear that it would happen in the 2017 General Assembly. Whether school teachers or day care workers, these checks are coming. Churches are encouraged to do background checks on anyone working with children and to have policies in place which protect both the child and worker from potential problems.
Supreme Court Results
The US Supreme Court ruled unanimously to vacate (throw out) former Gov. Bob McDonnell’s conviction for corruption. It is now up to the lower court to decide if it will try for another conviction under the guidelines given by the Supreme Court.
The Texas abortion law requiring abortion doctors have admitting privileges to hospitals was deemed unconstitutional. The Court determined the law did little to improve health of women and created an undue burden on women seeking an abortion. (Hopefully other avenues will be found to legally restrict abortion.)
I hope you’re planning to attend our ONE Voice for Liberties Conference. Both pastor and person in the pew will be educated and blessed. Go online today at http://vaib.org/education/one-voice-for-liberties-conference/, then tell your church folks to do the same! See you in September!
Your continued prayer for Carol and me as we work for VAIB is deeply appreciated. I cannot say thank you enough, especially to the new churches who have begun support, knowing how God has used you as a help to this ministry. May God bless you for your faithfulness!
Your voice for Christian liberties!
Falls Church Medical v. Oliver: Wait and Pray
Last summer, several abortion perpetrators jointly filed eight legal motions to overturn laws protecting women and unborn children in Virginia. These laws...
Thank you! Your voice was heard!
Thank you for making your voice heard! While the vote for H.R. 5, The Equality Act, ended about how you and I expected (passing by a vote of 236 to 173),...